Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Sing-Off really wows

The holidays weren't shaping up too well this year. Bleak economy. Family ills. Warmer-than-normal weather. But last night, my husband and I collapsed in our easy chairs, clicked on the TV, and got a great holiday surprise! A special episode of The Sing-Off!

I, who really dislike "reality" shows, love The Sing-Off.  I've been fans since the first episode three years ago. This high-gear a cappella contest boasts some features missing from other reality contest shows:
  1. real people
  2. real talent
  3. great music
  4. genuine competition
  5. good sportmanship
  6. great judges
  7. family-friendly fare
What blows me away is the sheer human talent. These performances are 100% human voices only. And what those voices can do gives me chill bumps on the same order as a performance by Cirque du Soleil -- "Stupid human tricks" that keep me pressing the replay button not because they're stupid but because they're simply amazing.

Last night was a surprise because the season ended a week ago. At least the competition ended. The show last night was a holiday special that brought back top performers from all three seasons for an  extravaganza of talent and great music.

There wasn't much traditional Christmas music in the line-up.  It was more contemporary, with re-visioned arrangements of songs by Sinatra, Justin Bieber, Eartha Kitt and others. Urban Method performed a great rendition of The Grinch, which was once of my favorites given how grinchy I've been so far this month.

It wasn't even all holiday music. Perhaps the best treat of the evening was a performance by Flo Rida along with Pentatonix (season 3 winners) and Urban Method. I still can't believe they make all that sound with voices only.

All-in-all, it was a real piece of eye and ear candy. I'll definitely be buying those tunes.

To hear or purchase any of the evening's tunes, or tunes from any of the episodes, simply visit the Sing-Off music link, and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment